These treats mirror the taste of a mass-produced candy bar while at the same time being made with simple ingredients. My family likes a bittersweet chocolate with a high amount of cacao, but you can use whatever type of chocolate you like the best. These pair exceptionally well with a dish of homemade vanilla ice cream.
- 6 Ounces Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 14 Ounces Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- 16 Ounces Bittersweet Chocolate (1 Bag of Chocolate Chips can be substituted.)
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- Extra Butter for Coating the Tinfoil
- 8×8 Straight Edged Baking Pan
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 Large Spoon
- Hand Mixer
- Rubber Spatula (optional)
- Wax Paper
- Baking Sheet
- Line an 8×8 straight edged pan with tinfoil, overlapping the edges, and lightly coat with butter.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Condensed Milk, Vanilla and Salt. Mix in the Powdered Sugar (1 cup at a time) until you have a smooth mixture. Next, add the Coconut and mix until thoroughly coated and combined. Pour mixture into the prepared pan and press in to an even layer using your hands or rubber spatula lightly coated with butter.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour, until firm enough to cut in to squares.
- When the Coconut mixture has set, lift out of the pan by the foil. Peel the foil off and place on a cutting board. Cut into strips then cut into squares.
- Pop the squares back into the refrigerator. Keep refrigerated until ready to coat.
- Heat the double boiler until the water begins to simmer. Add Chocolate (or Chocolate Chips) to the top pan. Stir every so often until they have melted, and then add the butter. Stir until the Chocolate and Butter are completely blended and the Chocolate is thinned and shiny. Using a fork, dip each Coconut Square in to the Chocolate, letting any excess drip off.
- Place the dipped bars on a wax paper lined baking sheet. Dip all of the bars and then let them sit until the Chocolate firms and sets up. Store at room temperature or refrigerate.
Enjoy a brief glimpse into my new novel, Starter Zone, coming September 25!
When hydrologists inscribe the consciousness of a human mind onto a single drop of water, a Revelation sweeps the land. The wealthy race to upload their minds into self-contained virtual realities nicknamed Aquariums. In these containers people achieve every hope, dream, and desire. But governments wage war for control of the technology. Terrorist attacks cause massive destruction. The Aquariums fail. Inscribed human minds leech into the water cycle, wreaking havoc.
Street gangs rule the cities in the three years since the fall of civilization. Sixteen-year-old Cami and her younger sister Alby struggle to survive. Every drop of untreated water puts their lives in peril. Caught and imprisoned by soldiers who plan to sell them into slavery, Cami will do anything to escape and rescue her sister. Even if it means leaving the real word for a life in the realms, a new game-like reality created by the hydrologists for the chosen few.
But life in the realms isn’t as simple as it seems. Magic, combat, gear scores, quests, and dungeons are all puzzles to be solved as the sisters navigate their new surroundings. And they encounter more dangerous enemies than any they faced in the real world.
Time to play the game.