This is a wonderfully creamy soup to serve on a cold fall/winter day.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small yellow onion (about 1 cup) finely chopped
- 2 cups celery, very finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Dutch oven
- Mixing spoon
1. Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic. Cook until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Add the flour and cook for another minute. Flour may brown a little but that is ok.
3. Whisk the mixture as liquids are slowly added to prevent clumps from forming. Increase the heat and bring it to a simmer.
4. Reduce heat to medium, add the sugar, salt, and pepper, simmer Uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
Spread the love