It’s the week before Christmas, so that means it’s time for baking (and eating) cookies!
If you do not like the “traditional” type of Christmas cookies–sugar, ginger bread, almond, and so forth–I have some recipes for you this week that will cause Santa to leave extra presents under the tree. Be sure to check back each day for a different cookie recipe.
Double Chocolate Biscotti (shown without icing)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- 14 – inch long baking sheet
- Large bowl
- Cutting board
- Serrated knife
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven 350°. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and extracts. Beat in sugar. Combine the flour, pecans, cocoa and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
2. On a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray, shape dough into a 14-in. x 3-in. rectangle. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer to a cutting board; cut with a serrated knife into 1-in. slices. Place cut side down on baking sheets coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
4. For optional icing, melt chocolate chips. Stir in milk, confectioner’s sugar and vanilla. Drizzle over cookies; let stand until hardened.
Still looking for a present?
Spread the love