It’s the week before Christmas, so that means it’s time for baking (and eating) cookies!
If you do not like the “traditional” type of Christmas cookies–sugar, ginger bread, almond, and so forth–I have some recipes for you this week that will cause Santa to leave extra presents under the tree. Be sure to check back each day for a different cookie recipe.
Snow Topped Chocolate Crinkles (makes about 3 dozen)
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet morsels or dark chocolate
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Baking sheets
- Cooking spray
- Parchment paper
- Pie plate shape dish
- Wire cooling rack
1. In small microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter in microwave on high, 45 seconds, stir. If needed, continue to heat mixture in 20 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted. Remove from microwave; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat eggs and sugar until pale, thick and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla extract. Add in cooled chocolate mixture; beat until combined. In separate bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking powder. Fold the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture until combined. If dough is too soft to shape into balls, cover and refrigerate until firm, about 1 to 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven 325°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Start with 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar in shallow dish (such as a pie plate). Can add more powdered sugar later if needed. First, form chilled dough into 1-inch balls; then roll each ball in powdered sugar; until fully covered. Place the sugar-covered balls on prepared baking sheets with parchment paper, about 1 1/2 inch apart. No need to flatten. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are slightly firm and the center is not soft. Remove from oven and place on wire cooling rack. Cool completely before storing in air-tight container.
Still looking for a present?
Spread the love