This is a healthy dish for the new year. It can be made with couscous or brown rice.
- 4 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 5 oz. dried cranberries about 1 cup
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice according to package directions and add in 1 tablespoon oil and salt to taste or 2 cups couscous following directions below
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Small bowl
- Medium saucepan if making couscous
- Baking sheet
1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a medium bowl, toss butternut squash with 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place on baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes or until tender.
2. In a small bowl, rehydrate the dried cranberries by combining with 2 cups hot water. Soak for one minute. Drain.
3. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil to a boil. Stir in couscous and cover, remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes. Remove cover, fluff with a fork and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, combine the couscous (rice), butternut squash, cranberries and remaining ingredients. Serve at room temperature.
Spread the love