Enjoy National Soup Month with a nice warm bowl of Cream of Zucchini Soup.
- 2 large zucchinis, peeled and seeds removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large cans chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- dried thyme (optional)
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large soup pot
- Medium skillet
- Cutting board
- Wooden spoon
1. Grate zucchini and put into large soup pot. Add chicken broth and bring to boil. Simmer about 30 minutes.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet on medium heat. Saute onion in butter until translucent about 5-7 minutes and then add to the zucchini and broth mixture.
3. Using same skillet melt add remaining 3 tablespoons butter on medium-low heat. Add flour and stir constantly with a wooden spoon in a figure-eight motion for even cooking. A thick paste forms. In 3 to 5 minutes, the mixture (Roux) should puff slightly. Let it cool slightly. Slowly whisk in milk until thick and creamy.
4. Stir flour mixture (Roux) into soup mixture and cook for 20 minutes. Add sour cream to mixture and cook for another 15 minutes until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with a pinch of dried thyme if desired.
While you eat your meal, why not enjoy a good book?