Enjoy National Soup month with this Midwestern Mushroom Soup that includes just a touch of dry sherry.
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb. fresh button mushrooms, wiped clean, trimmed, sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- salt and pepper to taste
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Large saucepan
- Flat saucepan
1. In a large saucepan, combine onion, rice and stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in flat saucepan. Gently cook mushrooms about 10 minutes or until brown and most of moisture has evaporated. Add mushrooms to stock. Stir in sherry and season with salt and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.
Makes 6 servings
While you eat your meal, why not enjoy a good book?