With just a little planning, you can harvest the vegetables and spices for this soup from your own garden!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 large can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon or 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh dill or pinch of dill weed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock or vegetable broth, divided
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup sliced zucchini or yellow summer squash
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Cutting board
- Dutch oven or Large stock pot
1. In Dutch oven, saute onion in oil about 4 minutes or until almost tender. Add garlic and saute another 1 – 2 minutes.
2. Add 1 cup stock, potato, tomatoes, beans, basil, tarragon, dill, salt and pepper to taste. (Add more stock if needed to cover potatoes) Simmer for 15 minutes or longer if using frozen beans. Cook until beans and potato are almost tender.
3. Add remaining stock, peas and zucchini; simmer for 5- 10 minutes longer after it returns to a boil (a little longer if using frozen peas).
Spread the love