My sister-in-law and I collaborated to make this gelatin dessert for a recent family get-together. One day we were comparing notes and realized that we both inherited the same recipe from our respective grandmothers. This must have been a very popular dessert back in the day!
Note: This needs to be prepared the day before.
- 1 package (3 oz.) EACH Cherry, Strawberry, AND Blue Raspberry Gelatins
- 3 cups boiling water, divided
- 2 cups cold water, divided
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 oz.) Lemon Gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Measuring cups
- 1 Medium bowl
- 3 8-inch square pans
- Medium saucepan
- Large mixing bowl
- 9-inch spring-form pan
1. Place beaters and mixing bowl in the freezer. Prepare the three flavors of gelatin SEPARATELY, using 1 cup boiling water and 1/2 cup cold water for EACH. Pour each flavor into an 8-inch square pan. Chill until firm about 3-4 hours.
2. Then mix orange juice and sugar. Heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Dissolve lemon gelatin in the hot juice; then add 1/2 cup cold water. Chill until slightly thickened (about 1 hour 15 minutes). Meanwhile, mix crumbs and butter; press into bottom of 9-inch spring-form pan. (If desired, press part of crumbs on side of pan.)
3. Cut the firm gelatins into 1/2-inch cubes. Then whip the cream using cold beaters and large mixing bowl from freezer on high speed until whipped cream forms stiff peaks). Blend whipped cream mixture with lemon gelatin.
4. Fold in gelatin cubes. Pour into spring-form pan. Chill at least 5 hours, or overnight. Run a knife or spatula between sides of dessert and pan, and remove sides of pan before serving. If desired, spread additional prepared dessert topping or whipped cream on top and sides. Makes 16 servings.