Looking for a refreshing meal to beat the summer heat? This healthy sandwich and smoothie duo has you covered.
This Open-Faced Nut Butter Sandwich forgoes the jelly for fresh sliced pears.
- 1-2 slices of your favorite bread
- Peanut butter or almond butter
- Sliced pears
1. Toast your favorite bread; one slice to eat open-faced or two for a sandwich. Spread on nut butter and drizzle with honey. Sprinkle on a few raisins. Add sliced pears, enough to cover bread. Sprinkle top of pears with cinnamon and enjoy.
Ginger-Berry Smoothie with Chia Seeds
When the weather gets warm, is there anything more refreshing than a smoothie? This one sneaks in some healthy vegetables and chia seeds.
- 1-1/2 cups frozen or fresh strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries (extra for garish if desired)
- About 1/3 cup canned sliced beets (save extra beets for next smoothie) or leftover cooked beets
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
- Chia seeds
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
1. In a blender combine all except chia seeds. Blend until smooth. Top with chia seeds and extra fruit if desired. Makes 1 serving.