With the heat wave that has hit the US this last week, a salad for lunch can hit the spot. Made with orzo, which may look like rice but is actually rice-sized pasta that cooks much faster than rice, you won’t have to spend much time in the kitchen!
- 1 cup orzo pasta uncooked
- 1/2 cup Lemon-Shallot Vinaigrette (recipe below)
- 3 cups diced watermelon with seeds removed
- 4 cups firmly packed arugula or salad of choice
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 minced shallot
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
Vinaigrette: In medium bowl stir together lemon juice and shallot; let stand 5 minutes. Whisk in rest of vinaigrette ingredients; add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate in airtight container up to 1 week. Makes about 2 cups.
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions and drain. Toss together hot pasta and 1/2 cup vinaigrette in large bowl. Cover and chill pasta mixture 3 to 24 hours.
2. Gently toss together watermelon, salad, feta, and pasta mixture just before serving; add salt and pepper to taste
Books available at Amazon.com or wherever books are sold.
Spread the love