This healthy dish is vegan/vegetarian and works as a light lunch or a side dish for supper.
- 1-1/3 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 2 navel oranges
- Orange zest from 1 orange, about 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 (14 oz.) can sliced beets, drained
- About 1/3 cup chopped chives or green onion plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium pot
- Large bowl
- Sharp paring knife
1. Place quinoa and 2 cups water in a medium pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 12 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, finely grate the zest of 1 orange into a large bowl (about 1 teaspoon). Cut away the oranges’ peels and white pith by cutting from top to bottom as shown in the picture. Working over the bowl, cut oranges into segments, adding them to the bowl along with any juices. Drizzle with oil and vinegar. Add beets, chopped scallion/chives, and pinch each of salt and pepper; gently toss to combine.
3. Divide quinoa among 4 plates, then top with beet and orange salad. Sprinkle with extra scallions/chives for garnish.
After you enjoy your meal, why not read a good book?
Spread the love