This healthy dish is easy to assemble and cook. The slow cooker makes it a time-saver as well.
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped, about 3/4 cup
- 1 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-fat milk (1%)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3-lb. butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2-3 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella
- fresh basil leaves or parsley, optional
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Slow cooker
- Large saucepan
- Large heavy saucepan
- 9 x 13 pan
- Cutting board
- Large sharp knife
- Potato masher
1. Bring 2 inches of water to boil in large saucepan. Add cubes of squash. Cook medium-high heat about 15 minutes or until tender. Mash with potato masher.
2. In 9 x 13 pan place noodles and cover completely with cold water. Move noodles around occasionally to prevent sticking.
3. In heavy saucepan, warm oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic if using, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Saute for 5 minutes. Stir in thyme and flour; cook stirring, 3 minutes. Add milk in a steady stream, stirring; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, until thickened, 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
4. Drain noodles. Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Noodles may need to be broken in half to fit into the slow cooker.
Place the food in layers in the slow cooker. The kale in this version is placed to one side because one family member does not like it. Work on the recipe to make it your own!
First Layer–1 cup sauce on the bottom of slow cooker.
Next Layer–3 noodles, third of squash, third of kale, third of sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella
Third Layer–3 noodles, third of squash, third of kale, third of sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella
Final Layer–3 noodles, third of squash, third of kale, third of sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella and remaining Parmesan cheese
5. Cover and cook HIGH 2-3 hours or until noodles are tender. If it seems that lasagna is too dry add vegetable or chicken broth on top. Remove lid and let sit 10 minutes.
Garnish with basil leaves or fresh parsley.
Spread the love