It may seem like the bread is the star of this dish, but the healthy vegetables fill more than a supporting role!
- 2 cups Italian or French bread cubes
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup vinaigrette dressing (see recipe below)
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup peeled and diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- handful of thinly sliced basil to taste
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large salad bowl
- Medium bowl if not using blender
1. In salad bowl, toss bread cubes with 2 tablespoons dressing; let stand 15 minutes. Add remaining ingredients including several more tablespoons vinaigrette dressing and toss. Add more dressing if needed. Makes 2 servings.
2. To make vinaigrette dressing: In blender or medium bowl with wire whisk, combine all ingredients. Makes about 1-1/4 cups dressing.
After you enjoy your meal, why not read a good book?