This is a healthier version of a traditional lasagna. Rather than adding extra cheese, this delicious dish is filled with extra veggies. Top with naturally low fat skim mozzarella cheese to provide an added taste “zing!”
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into quarters, then into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium bell peppers (any color) chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (12 fl. oz. each) evaporated low fat milk, divided
- 1 jar (26 oz.) prepared marinara sauce, divided
- 1 package (8 oz.) or 12 sheets no-boil lasagna noodles, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 13 x 9 inch baking dish
- Large skillet
- Medium saucepan
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Grease baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and peppers; cook stirring frequently, until soft, for about 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook for an additional 2 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together flour, 1/4 cup evaporated milk and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and black pepper in medium saucepan until smooth. Whisk in remaining evaporated milk. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened. Stir 2 cups of milk mixture into cooked vegetables; reserve remaining milk mixture.
3. Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce over bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with 3 noodles. Top with HALF of the vegetable mixture. Top with 3 noodles. Spread 1 cup marinara sauce and sprinkle with 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Layer 3 noodles, remaining vegetables and remaining 3 noodles. Top with remaining marinara sauce, reserve milk mixture, remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden and bubbly on the edges. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Spread the love