This is a healthier version of a traditional lasagna. Rather than adding extra cheese, this delicious dish is filled with extra veggies. Top with naturally low fat skim mozzarella cheese to provide an added taste “zing!”
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into quarters, then into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium bell peppers (any color) chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (12 fl. oz. each) evaporated low fat milk, divided
- 1 jar (26 oz.) prepared marinara sauce, divided
- 1 package (8 oz.) or 12 sheets no-boil lasagna noodles, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 13 x 9 inch baking dish
- Large skillet
- Medium saucepan
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Grease baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and peppers; cook stirring frequently, until soft, for about 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook for an additional 2 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together flour, 1/4 cup evaporated milk and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and black pepper in medium saucepan until smooth. Whisk in remaining evaporated milk. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened. Stir 2 cups of milk mixture into cooked vegetables; reserve remaining milk mixture.
3. Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce over bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with 3 noodles. Top with HALF of the vegetable mixture. Top with 3 noodles. Spread 1 cup marinara sauce and sprinkle with 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Layer 3 noodles, remaining vegetables and remaining 3 noodles. Top with remaining marinara sauce, reserve milk mixture, remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden and bubbly on the edges. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
After you enjoy your meal, why not read a good book?