This cake is delicious served warm or cold. Be prepared for marvelous smells emanating from your oven while it is cooking. Serve with cups of hot coco for a seasonal treat!
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped and peeled tart apples (like Honey Crisp)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- extra splash of olive oil
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup Cacao nibs (optional)
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 13″ x 9″ baking dish
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Wire rack
1. Preheat oven 350°. Coat baking dish with splash of olive oil. In large mixing bowl, beat the egg and egg whites, sugar, oil and vanilla.
2. In medium bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Fold in apples and nuts if desired. Pour into baking dish. Bake for 50- 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
3. In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter. Add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth. Spread over cake; top with cacao nibs if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Spread the love