When I have eggplant I generally make ratatouille. My sister-in-law likes to make sandwiches. This is her contribution and I have to admit, the sandwiches look fantastic!
- 1-2 eggplants, sliced crosswise into half-inch thick slices (at least 12 slices)
- 1/2 cup low-fat Italian salad dressing
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 glove garlic, crushed
- 1 loaf French bread, cut crosswise n the diagonal into about 24 slices
- 3 roma tomatoes, cut lengthwise into 4 slices each
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 12 slices
- 12 leaves fresh basil or dried
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Small bowl
- Pastry brush
Directions: 1. Toss eggplant slices in dressing in large bowl; set aside. Combine oil and garlic in small bowl. Lightly brush one side of each bread slice with oil mixture; set aside.
2. Drain and grill eggplant slices over high heat, for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until tender. Grill oil-coated side of bread slices until golden.
3. Assemble sandwiches; slice of bread layered with eggplant, tomato and mozzarella slice followed by a basil leaf on top or a sprinkle of dried basil. Top with another slice of bread. Repeat to make 12 sandwiches.
After you enjoy your meal, why not read a good book?
Spread the love