Is there anything better than homemade sweet and salty caramel corn? Not only does it taste delicious, the smell that fills the air when you are cooking it is heavenly.
- 24 cups air popped popcorn
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light or dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large roasting pan
- Heavy saucepan
1. Preheat oven to 250°F. Coat bottom and sides of large roasting pan with nonstick spray. Place popped popcorn in roasting pan.
2. In saucepan, slowly melt butter; stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. heat to a boil, stirring constantly; boil without stirring 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda and vanilla. Gradually pour over popped popcorn, mixing well. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
3. Remove from oven, and cool completely. Break apart and store in tightly covered container.
After you enjoy your treat, why not read a good book?