Have a hankering for pizza but your local restaurant is closed? Homemade pizza can be just the right touch of comfort food for you and your family.
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup cornmeal or breadcrumbs
- 1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup olive oil plus extra for greased pans and bowl
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and dried basil
- 1 pkg. frozen spinach (10 oz.) do not thaw
- 1 can (8 oz.) mushrooms stems and pieces, well drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large glass bowl
- Large metal bowl
- Large bowl
- Two 10-inch ovenproof skillets or Two 9-inch springform pans
- Small saucepan
- Medium saucepan
- Food thermometer
- Plastic wrap
- Kitchen towel
- Rolling pin
- Aluminum foil
1. In a large glass bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, cornmeal, yeast, sugar, and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add remaining 1-1/2 cups to form a stiff dough. If needed add some more flour a little at a time.
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased metal bowl (using 1- 2 tablespoons olive oil), turning dough lightly coating it. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and a damp kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile cook spinach according to package directions and drain well.
4. Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into an 11-inch circle. Press dough onto the bottom and up sides of two greased 10-inch oven proof skillets. Sprinkle each with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
5. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Spoon 1-1/2 cups over each pizza. Layer each pizza with half the spinach and mushrooms; 1 cup mozzarella; and 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese.
6. Cover skillets with aluminum foil and bake 450° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
Note: Two 9-inch springform pans may be used in place of skillets. Place pans on baking sheets before baking. Run knife around edge of pan to loosen crust before removing sides.
Makes 2 pizzas (8 slices each)
After you enjoy your meal, why not read a good book?