Have extra candy in your house this year? This kid-friendly project uses the extra goodies from the Spring Baskets and extends the holiday fun.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) Marshmallows OR 4 cups Miniature Marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Crisp cereal
- About 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Jelly beans
- About 6 Peeps (optional)
- Green food coloring
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large saucepan
- Muffin tin
- Small bowl (not plastic)
- Parchment paper
1. Spray 6 holes of the muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
3. Add the cereal. Stir until well coated. Quickly divide into prepared 6 muffin tins. Let cool.
4. As the cereal finishes cooling, spread out coconut in small bowl. Place 4 drops of green food coloring randomly onto the coconut. Mix and add more random drops until desired color is reached.
5. Shape each crispy into a nest shape with indent in middle. Place on parchment paper.
6. Arrange about 1-2 tablespoons of coconut in the nest. Add desired amount of jelly beans and top with Peep if desired. Enjoy immediately for freshness. Nests can be made in advanced and be stored in an airtight container to be assemble at a later time.
After you enjoy your treat, why not read a good book?