This is a quick and easy recipe that can use up some of your “pantry” items. If you don’t have fresh green beans, for example, canned ones are an easy substitute. Just warm the canned green beans since they are already cooked.
- 2 lbs. green beans
- 2 bacon slices
- 1/4 cup minced shallots or green onions
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped almonds or walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large saucepan
- Large skillet with lid
1. Place green beans into a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until beans start to soften, about 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
2. In skillet cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Remove bacon. Saute onions in bacon grease until soft for a minute on medium low heat. Remove skillet from heat. Let cool slightly.
3. Add sugar and vinegar in skillet stir until sugar dissolves. Stir in crumbled bacon to pan. Pour vinaigrette over beans, tossing gently to coat. Sprinkle with almonds.
After you enjoy your meal, why not read a good book?