Warm, sweet, and spiced. A scent that fills the house for hours. Most of us know how to use fruit in smoothies, juices, salads, and desserts…but what you really need to know is how to make them into bread that tantalizes the senses.
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3-4 tablespoons Sugar in the Raw cane sugar (optional)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large bowl
- Small bowl
- 2 loaf pans (8-in x 4-in x 2-in.)
- Cooling racks
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir in nuts, cranberries and orange peel.
2. In a small bowl, beat eggs, milk, orange juice and butter until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
3. Pour into two greased loaf pans. Sprinkle about 1-1/2 tablespoons of Turbinado sugar on top of each loaf. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
After you enjoy your bread, why not read a good book?