As soon as the summer heat arrives, the last thing you want to do is spend hours in a hot kitchen. Of course, you still want to serve your family homemade dishes, but that’s where pasta salad comes into play.
The beauty of most pasta salads–they can be served warm or cold!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3-4 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound mini Bella mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch
- 1-2 roasted red pepper with skins removed, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound ziti
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large frying pan
- Large pot
1. In a large frying pan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter with 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderate heat. Add the onions, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the sugar and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are well browned, about 20 minutes. Remove from the pan.
2. In the same pan, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat. Add the mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and brown, about 8 minutes. Add the reserved onions, the roasted red pepper, the parsley, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt if desired and pepper.
3. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the ziti until just done, about 13 minutes. Reserve 3/4 cup of the pasta water and drain pasta. Toss the ziti and 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water with the mushroom mixture, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and Parmesan. If the pasta seems dry, add more of the reserved pasta water. Serve with additional Parmesan. Serves 4.
After you enjoy your meal, why not read a good book?