For me the pepitas make this dish a hit. I love scooping them out one at a time with a spoonful of soup!
- 4 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-in. cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pepitas (Shelled pumpkin seeds)
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Baking sheets
- Dutch oven
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Immersion blender/ Blender
- Heat oven to 400°F. Place the squash on baking sheets; avoid overcrowding. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth and add thyme. Bring to a boil.
- Remove the squash from the oven and add to the broth. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Using a regular or immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Serve warm. Top with pepitas if desired.
After you enjoy your soup, why not read a good book?